Friday, October 5, 2012

Jillian Michaels book

I was flipping through Jillian Michaels book "Master your Metabolism" and read part of a chapter on High Fructose Corn Syrup.  She said that every time you see HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) listed on the ingredients you should think "POISON" because it is so bad for you.

I was talking to my brother about this and he said he googled "Why are american's so fat".  Of course there are a lot of websites listing lots of reasons...Portion sizes, fast food, inactivity, etc...but one of the reasons listed on almost every single website was High Fructose Corn Syrup.

So then my brother googled  "Why is high fructose corn syrup in everything?"  He discovered that the American Government subsidises corn farmers...this make the price of corn artificially low...which means that food manufacturers can purchase high fructose corn syrup for cheap.  It is a sweetener and preservative.

So for the last 2 weeks (2 shopping trips) I have been looking at labels and trying really hard not to buy anything with high fructose corn syrup in it.  IT IS HARD!  IT IS IN EVERYTHING!  It is in surprising things.  Ketchup, spaghetti sauce, lunchmeat, stuffing, jam, etc...

I am reading Dr. Phil's ultimate weight solution book.  In there he calls "good" foods HIGH RESPONSE COST, HIGH YIELD foods.  This means that your body has to work harder to break them down and they are a lower caloric intake.  Basically the way he summarizes is that these food take work to prepare and work to break down in your body.  This has impacted me and realize...yes, he's right.  It takes more time to wash and cut up broccoli than it does to open a bag of chips.  It takes more work to prepare a homemade dinner than to stop and get a pizza.  AM I WILLING TO DO THE WORK?  Yes.

I have also decided to cut back majorly on artificial sweeteners.  It actually hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be...mostly because I am doing the timers like I mentioned in a previous post.  When I am satisfied all of the time I can think clearly to not reach for sweets (as much).

No comments:

Post a Comment